Moving data and IT infrastructure to the Azure Cloud requires a proven cloud migration solutions. There are different strategies offered by Azure according to the company size and business necessities. Here is a brief article on what the different migration plans available are and how to choose them.
Below are the widely adopted Azure migration strategies available. The first 3 methods use both on-premises systems as well as the Azure Cloud. But the last method alone uses completely the Cloud environment.
This is the most commonly used migration approach, also known as “lift and shift” migration. It is the fastest way to put an enterprise on Azure. This is an easy no-code option which enables moving the existing applications to Azure in a short duration. There is no transformation involved, and each application is moved without any change. This avoids the involved costs risks in making any code changes.
You can ideally use this migration model if you need to satisfy the below conditions:
- A quick migration of applications right away from your datacenter to the cloud.
- No-code changes involved.
- Need to move apps that are designed to leverage the Azure IaaS scalability.
- Should not modify the app capabilities for the migration to happen.
- If the app or DB requirements can be satisfied only by using an Azure IaaS VM.
This method is also known as ‘repackaging’ strategy to Azure migration. It involves a few code changes to the application design alone. And, there would be no major or complete modifications to the application code required. The ‘Refactor’ strategy provides the comfort of both IaaS and PaaS services from Azure such as Azure App Service, Azure SQL Database Managed Instance, and containers.
When to apply the ‘Refactor’ migration strategy?
- Code portability is a major worry, considering the current codebase.
- If you are looking for a rapid method to modernize your apps along with the migration.
- Need to get the DevOps & containers advantage, thereby ensuring continuous innovation.
This strategy is good in case you wish to change or even extend your applications’ codebase. It will be helpful to scale your applications and optimize them for the cloud. You can modernize your applications following a highly scalable, resilient, and independently deployable architecture. You can use this scheme to scale your applications with confidence and manage them easily.
Here are some of the reasons to choose the ‘Rearchitect’ option:
- Take advantage of your present applications along with the maximum power of Azure.
- Become scalable in a cost-effective manner.
- Enhance agility through innovative DevOps principles.
This is a cloud-native approach where the Azure cloud is responsible for both the Application Tier and Data Tier. So, you would be rebuilding the application using cloud technologies. The suite of development and deployment tools from Azure PaaS gives the power to rebuild the applications. It also doesn’t involve any big expenses, or the complexities involved in software licenses. Also, you need not depend on your middleware or application infrastructure or other resources for the migration. In this migration technique, you would manage the applications and services, while Azure manages the rest.
Below are some of the scenarios when you should use ‘Rebuild’ approach:
- Looking for a quick development, when the present application is slowing your business down because of the lifespan and limited functionality.
- Moving your business forward with the need for innovation.
- When you are building applications that make use of AI, Blockchain, and IoT.
Whether you want to develop your applications completely on the Azure cloud, or just host the data alone on-premises, Deevita can help you have it your way. Right from cloud assessment to putting your enterprise on the cloud, we provide end-to-end consulting services for your Azure needs.
Send an email to email@example.com or contact us at +1-425-502-5094 to learn about our Azure services.
Boost your business growth to new levels. Request a FREE demo today!